Sunday, April 17, 2011

Commuting: My first ride to work in Napoli, Italia

I've been working a bit closer to home lately, in an office that's located just down the coast from me.  Unlike my usual work location, which is seperated from where I live by a number of tunnels and mountains, the geography separating my new office and home is simpler, and as such, easier to ride.  I've been driving to work the past week or so, but realized early on that my commute was possible by bike.  In fact, as bike commutes go, it's probably the worlds best.  Not counting the traffic, which I get up early enough, prior to most drivers hitting the road, or me.  Kidding. :)


Anyway, the ride is beautiful.  Probably the most beautiful bike commute I will ever have.  My ride allowed me to see much of what I get to see from the car, but it's different on a bike.  Maybe that's because I'm going slower, maybe it's because I'm more exposed to the environment on the bike, hearing and seeing more along my bike commute than I would by car.  Either way, I experience more by bike than by car.  The ride is spectacular, but I'd like to share a few places in particular.  First is the downhill ride from Monte di Procida.  It's particularly long and fast, but it also features an amazing view looking north along the coast.  The morning was so clear that I could see almost to Gaeta, 100km to the north.  Continuing on, I reach Baia, a small port town, and as I turn toward work, I look over the bay of Naples and see the sun rising over Vesuvius.  As I ride toward Pozzuoli along the coastal road perched on a cliff above the bay of Naples, I looked to my right seeing Vesuvio, Sorrento and Capri in the distance.  As I reach Pozzuoli, the foot and motor traffic become much more congested, forcing me to pay more attention to the activity around me.  Although it's busy, Pozzuoli is also a beautiful city.  As I ride over the cobblestone streets, I pass by cafe's, ride through arches and tight city streets and witness the city getting ready for another busy day.  The final spectacular spot along my bike commute route is a short but beautiful stretch of road between Pozzuoli and Bagnoli, where I work.  This route is fairly tight, with the road built between the bay of Naples and a cliff, but the spectacular view looks out over the bay of Naples looking back toward home.  From this vista I see my home in the distance, and as my eye follows the coastline, I can witness the route through Baia and Pozzuoli that I've just completed.  I finish the ride by climbing the road up into Bagnoli, reaching my office in just over a half an hour.  I've really enjoyed my first bike ride to work in Italy.  Wonderful view and a great ride.  ...next time I'll have to stop for a cafe or cappuccino in Pozzuoli...

1 comment:

Daimo said...

Very cool. Just tried to follow your route on Google Earth, but I'm out of shape and only made it as far as Lucrino.