Friday, September 5, 2008

Cool Kids

A friend and co-worker of mine was talking with me today about the blog, and about some of the rap groups I featured in the previous entry. We ended up talking quite a bit about the Cool Kids "Black Mags" video. Great song, great visuals. I had to admit that I didn't know much about them, the Cool Kids, except that they are from Chicago, and that they have this old school 80 rap style which is so rare today, and considering everything that is going on in hip hop, is actually quite refreshing. My most memorable music moment is actually with Old School Hip Hop; I remember listening to and being totatlly mezmorized by Run DMC's Peter Piper playing on my cousin's boom box at some family holiday. It was totatlly different type of music that I was hearing for the first time, and I'll probably remember that moment probably for the rest of my life. I also remember moving from Minnesota to Connecticut, where I could listen to the rap music being projected from the top of the Empire State Building in NYC. I remember listenging to Slick Rick, Run DMC, and other great innovators in hip hop.

The Cool Kids rewind hip hop back to the 80's, a music era that is special to me because it signifies the change, discovery and challenges that I faced moving across the country with my family, and it also signifies the musical landscape of the place I would call home: the East Coast.

The Cool Kids have also brought a breath of fresh air for me, as Chris Rock said, "it is getting hard to justify listening to (gangster) rap, even though I enjoy the music." While most of the hip hop "world" has been tainted by violence, drugs, and negative lyrics, the Cool Kids have stepped it up, providing the fan of hip hop what it always was in the 'good old days': fresh, funky and fun.

I really enjoy the music their music, as it reminds me of Run DMC, Tribe Called Quest, and other great hip hop artists of what I thought was a by-gone age. I thought I would learn a little more about them, listen to more of their music, and share with whomever is following my blog.

The following is a video introduction of the Cool Kids produced by german TV:


Of course, their is their 'Black Mags'. I love how they merge BMX bike culture with Hip Hop culture. This is a live version:



Bassment Party!



What Up Man: a lot like Run DMCs "you be illin" from Raising Hell...



I'm Mikey, bike style!...



One of my fav's: 88...



TV debut featuring 'What it is'...



Maybe more to follow...

No comments: